Welcome to the Great Lakes and Midwest Regional Deeper Learning Initiative
The content of this page is no longer being consistently updated. However, the links on this page are still active and we invite you to explore these valuable resources.
The Great Lakes and Midwest Regional Deeper Learning Initiative is a collaboration between the Great Lakes Comprehensive Center and the Midwest Comprehensive Center designed to help states identify, explore, and advance state-level policy, guidance, and supports that drive deeper learning practices.
In today’s rapidly changing and complex world, students need deeper learning—a broad set of knowledge and skills that enables them to understand, navigate, adapt, and thrive in response to novel and complex problems and contexts. Key to deeper learning is how content knowledge, thinking skills, and interpersonal and intrapersonal skills work together to enable students to continuously expand, strengthen, and propel their learning forward.
Deeper Learning Competencies:
- Cognitive: Deep, transferable content knowledge and thinking skills
- Interpersonal: Communication and collaboration skills
- Intrapersonal: Positive mind-sets and learning-to-learn skills
The term deeper learning refers to the essential competencies students need for 21st century success—the what—as well as the approaches educators can use to build these competencies—the how. Visit our About Deeper Learning page to learn more.
State education agencies have an important role to play in promoting deeper learning for all students. Across the combined Great Lakes and Midwest regions, states are engaged in a range of strategies to promote deeper learning:
- Defining and setting deeper learning expectations that include the knowledge, skills, and dispositions students need to thrive in the 21st century
- Building the capacity of educators to implement deeper learning approaches, including personalized learning and competency-based education
- Devising more flexible credit options and learning pathways
- Exploring measurement approaches to authentically capture student’s deeper learning competencies